News
I was present, Obi made no offers – Journalist counters Adeyanju

Veteran journalist and columnist, Ike Abonyi, has refuted allegations by social media activist Deji Adeyanju that Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, attempted to buy his support.
Abonyi, who said he personally facilitated and attended a meeting between Obi and Adeyanju before the elections, insisted that no monetary or material inducement was ever discussed.
In a statement issued Friday in Abuja, he explained:“I was at the meeting Deji had with Obi and was there all through. None of the things Deji claimed ever happened. No money was offered during or after the meeting, and there was no promise of any to the best of my knowledge,” Abonyi said.
He recalled that Adeyanju had previously alleged in July 2022 that Obi was open to an appointment from then APC presidential flagbearer Bola Tinubu—an assertion Abonyi said he had challenged privately at the time.
According to him, the meeting was arranged solely to explore Adeyanju’s potential run for the AMAC House of Representatives seat under the Labour Party, not to negotiate favours.
“It would be unfair to my conscience as a Christian and a journalist to allow Deji Adeyanju to continue with this false narrative. Obi simply shared his life and political journey as he has always done publicly. Nothing more,” Abonyi added.
Expressing dismay, he described Adeyanju’s claims as “a voyage of blackmail,” urging the activist, now a lawyer, to embrace truth and integrity if he wishes to progress in his career.